I’ve always been a pasta girl. And a sauce girl. Lucky for me, I figured out a quick and easy way to make a sauce that I love! It’s great on pasta, with dishes like chicken parmesan, or simply as a dipping sauce for a crusty bread. I’ll make a batch (or two) at the beginning of the week and then use it for my meals for the rest of the week.
For this recipe you can use any of your favorite tomato brands. I really like Trader Joe’s whole plum tomatoes, but you can choose whichever! Also, make sure to use fresh garlic and basil — trust me the flavor will be SO much better.
Chunky Tomato Basil Sauce
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 28 ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- basil (about 1/2 + cup) chopped
- 1-2 teaspoons salt (to taste)
- In a medium saucepan heat the oil. Saute the garlic and onion about 5 minutes… until the onion is tender.
- Chop the whole tomatoes (reserve the sauce that is in the can with them). TIP: When chopping, make sure you do this near the sink and on a big cutting board… the liquids from the tomatoes might go a little crazy! Add the chopped tomatoes into the pan.
- Add the crushed tomato and reserved tomato liquid/sauce. Add the salt and pepper. Simmer about 10 minutes.
- Add the chopped basil. Simmer 10 minutes more (at least).