Living in the south has me all confused. The fall season I have experienced for the last 25 years of my life means much cooler weather and an amazing display of fall foliage. But here in Nashville, it’s the middle of October… and still 85 degrees and sunny outside!
Since my senses are all mixed up with the South’s strange take on this transitional season, this recipe is an in-between-seasons breakfast: summertime blueberries and sweet fall pears. I’m not one that can skip breakfast in the morning. I’ve been trying to find things that I can make ahead of time and then reheat in the morning before dashing out to take on the world. This was such an easy breakfast to make ahead of time and then enjoy all week long.
Baked Oatmeal and Fruit
(Adapted from Annie Eats recipe)
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (divided in half)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- a bit of salt
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg (lightly beaten)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons of butter, melted
- 1-2 large ripe pears, cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 cup blueberries (frozen are ok!)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Combine the oatmeal, half the nuts, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine milk, honey, egg, vanilla, and melted butter. Mix to combine.
- Now to put it all together… Take a baking dish and coat with cooking spray. Spread the pear over the bottom of the baking dish. Layer 1/2 cup of the blueberries over the pears. Pour the dry oatmeal mixture over the fruit. Next pour the milk mixture evenly over the oatmeal. Sprinkle the remaining berries and nuts over the top. Finally, sprinkle the sugar evenly over the top.
- Bake about 35-40 minutes. The top should be golden brown and the oats should be set. Allow the oatmeal to cool a bit before serving (about 10-15 minutes).